Employees don’t want to be handed books of paper about the benefits available to them through your company. They need guidance on which medical, dental, and retirement plan to choose. Therefore, to increase overall employee satisfaction and improve your benefits administration process I suggest the following:
1. Utilize the Voice of Your Employee by conducting surveys, such as, how often they want benefits related information to be provided to them, what communication channels do they prefer to receive the information (videos, PPT, mobile, intranet, email, et cetera).
2. Create personalized material to fit critical variables based on survey data and employee goals.
3. When you identify how often employees are willing to see benefits information make sure to create a calendar of when this information will be distributed and actively survey employees on what topics they want to learn more about (make sure the content is not too long, gets to the point, and is easy to understand but also fun too)
4. Utilize or create a single platform that offers all benefits information because this reduces the need for multiple passwords/websites.
5. Set time every quarter to discuss benefits and explain to employees why premiums increase every year. Also have your broker be part of the meeting so they can offer advice to employees on which plan is best for them or answer any questions they may have.
6. Comparison shop every year to see if you are able to find a more cost-effective plan by using the total-cost method (e.g taking into consideration the overall cost of the plan includes broker fees/commission, admin fees, et cetera) See this entrepreneur article for more information.
7. Continue to survey employees every Quarter because many things can change in their lives in just 3 months. You have to stay abreast to those changes so that relative guidance, content and information can be readily available to them so they can make smart decisions.